Wednesday, November 09, 2016

I Don't Know

I have no idea what is going on. I am an immigrant in Britain. I thought the majority of people in Britain believed in free movement of people and were welcoming. I actually still believe that, but there is an intense and obvious divide of people here. In a small country, people can still tell which city you come from, and what 'type' of person you are, by your accent, your name, and various other signals. There is a deep struggle between us and them. I grew up in Apartheid South Africa. Us v Them by definition. When I visited Chicago, I saw that Apartheid was alive and well. 22 years after 27 April 1994, Apartheid is still alive and well in South Africa, America and Britain.

Then Mandela, Now Trump

Elections don't change things. People change things. We can hold it together or we can let things fall apart. It is not up to politicians or businessmen. It is up to us. I have no idea what is going on, but I have a strong sense that we lack sufficient connection to each other, and empathy with each other. We need to change that. Let's start.

Then 2016 Happened

No comments: