Thursday, November 10, 2016

Self-Reflection

The temptation is to take everything that happens as evidence to support whatever we believe. Confirmation Bias. 'I told you so'. When unexpected things happen there are always lessons. Mistakes are how we learn. They are the engine of how we improve. The answers aren't normally immediately obvious. If they were, we probably would have been prepared.

'Whenever we are surprised by something, even if we admit that we made a mistake, we say, ‘Oh I’ll never make that mistake again.’ But, in fact, what you should learn when you make a mistake because you did not anticipate something is that the world is difficult to anticipate. That’s the correct lesson to learn from surprises: that the world is surprising.'
Daniel Kahneman

Take any 'I predicted this' with a pinch of salt. There will always be someone who got it right. Rather than looking for people who get predictions correct, I think the best approach is self-reflection. How unprepared was I for what happened? How can I be more resilient in the future? What lessons can I learn before venturing to teach others? What can I learn from them first, before I share insights I think I have?

The problem with the 'I told you so' approach is that it leads to doubling down on answers rather than finding more beautiful questions.

A pinch of salt, self-reflection and more beautiful questions.

No comments: