Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Wiki-wandering

I am a Soutie. I don't believe in (dom) passports but I am lucky to have two. A green one by birth, and a red one through a points-based immigration system (age, qualifications, income, ability to speak English) and 'naturalization'. I regularly write 100 (ish) word posts based on Wikipedia entries on different countries around the world, as I try to understand how they came into existence. My theory is that as we pushed back on the idea of being ruled by a Sovereign Person, we had to invent 'The People' to empower. We did this by creating imaginary differences between us - with flags, anthems, airlines, currencies, sports teams, borders, armies and religion. It is my hope that we come up with a better story than nations as a tool for empowerment.

No comments: