Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Looking Back

I spend a lot of time looking backwards. Both at my own story, and at our shared history. I believe the world is too complicated for us to understand. Much of our behaviour is stuff we ourselves don't understand, but learn through imitation and repetition. Trial and error. Most of our learning is cumulative. Almost all of it. Our contribution is a nudge. A rounding error. Most of our habits are automatic. Learned and passed on. The problem is context changes faster than we are able to learn. By looking back at my own story, I am always learning. I know more than I did, and that changes the way I saw things. By looking at our shared history, I think we can slowly and consciously change some of the behaviours that are no longer useful. We can create a new story.

Learning

No comments: