Friday, June 08, 2018

Space Chip

My friend Clair (a poet) shared her favourite warm-up tongue-twister, 'There is a chip shop in space, that sells space ship shaped chips'. Say that ten times fast. When I was about 7, I was struggling academically. I have never been good at pretending I understand things when I don't. I get a 'deer in the headlights' look. I withdraw. A group of us were put into 'Speech & Drama' classes as remedial therapy for those struggling in the classroom. Lots of tongue twisters. It is a great example of how 'the problem is not always the problem'. Some how the tongue twisters also untwisted my learning ability. I am still a slow learner. I still get lost in the grass for long periods. Discomfort and confusion is completely necessary in the learning process. When we are kids, they are met with love and compassion. When we are adults, they can be met with derision. Perhaps we could all do with more Space Ship Shaped Chips.


No comments: