Monday, May 23, 2022

Looking Inside

I will be the first to admit that I mostly live in my head. In the year and a half before my attempt at the Comrades, I wanted to look inside myself and answer the question, “Am I a runner?”. I did love sport growing up, and I threw myself into various things. Even though I wasn’t great, each year my body changed enough to ask the question, “maybe I am now?”. 

When I started working, I did neglect my body more than I should have for a few years. Getting swallowed by the time at my desk. In 2009 I moved near to a Yoga Centre, and gradually stopped treating my body as a “transport device for my head”. I was attempting a few “100 hour projects”... like piano and capoeira (8-week course). Seeing how fluidly some people’s bodies or fingers move... with rhythm that is inspirational. Planting a seed for my later interest in “Five Rhythms” (a form of moving meditation) and movement culture more generally. 

When you are not on a specific path (e.g. when you are a child), you can be more flexible and playful. Trying things. Holding back your “self-definition” in those first hundred hours. Less about whether or not I was a runner, and more just about running. 

The best advice I have been given on how to become a writer, is “write”.

Digging Deep


No comments: