Monday, December 11, 2017

Righteous Indignation

I grew up with the story of Jesus overturning the tables in the temple as a parable around righteous indignation. That occasionally it is right to lose your temper. I am a big believer in tolerance. That rules should be clear, but based on consent rather than enforcement. I like rules that can then effectively disappear while people are creative within them. When people understand, and like, the agreements that they have made with each other. A friend observed that within my tolerance, I do get very angry. I do get triggered. I do have a deep seated belief in right and wrong. I find this tough to hear as I like the idea of being tolerant, and work at it. Yet bubbling under there is a raging bull. He also observed that growing up in Apartheid South Africa could have led to this scarred view of needing to stand up to power. The law was wrong. The law wasn't to be tolerated. It certainly wasn't consensual. I would love to let the bull chill.


No comments: