Sunday, December 03, 2017

Slow Learner

I am a slow learner. I am just very stubborn, and comfortable with the discomfort of appearing stupid and making mistakes in public. 'Things coming easy' isn't actually a sign of someone being sustainably good at something. The top riders in the Tour de France are definitely hurting more than a completely unfit beginner scared of going for a ride because it will hurt to start. It doesn't get easier. The best of the best just push on into that discomfort. There are also two paths to learning - deep and wide. You can't really do both. The great thing is we learn cumulatively, so the important thing is keeping connections, and trust, between us so the learning can be shared. My preference is being a constant beginner so that I am only a step or two away from most people I meet in learning something about something they care about deeply. Close enough to listen.


No comments: