Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dual Citizens

The India v. South Africa Test Series has brought up an old bug bear of mine.

I accept more and more than blind patriotism is probably destructive. I accept that you should love the characteristics of a country above simply loving the country for the country's sake. I would link to the post I read on the subject, it was either Wilkinson or Massie, but I can't remember. Whoever it was compared love for a country to love for a spouse. They said that the difference should lie in the fact that you love a country because of its attributes, and this shouldn't be mutually exclusive. So if they loved America (which suggests it was Wilkinson) because of its Liberty, they should love Canada for a similar reason.

With a spouse, you can't love them because of their attributes. This is because if that was the case, you would simply be able to replace them (without not being faithful to the attributes) if you met someone with the same attributes plus a couple others that you quite fancy. This seems like nonsence. You can't write a list of pros and cons about a person and decide based on that. With a country, you probably can.

That being said I still feel deeply attached to South Africa. Despite being pro-free immigration and people going where ever they want, I still allow myself complete irrarionality in the area of Sport... and that is the area where I get pissed off when South Africans don't support South Africa. I also get irritated with people who openly support another country over South Africa.

Fine, do that. But then don't claim to be South African. Like that bastard Kevin Pietersen (the poms can have him) just admit that you are a turncoat (note: As I said Sport Support is the area I allow myself complete irrationality, prejudice, arrogance and blind patriotism).

I still need to think more about my stance on Patriotism and Nationality, and I see its risks but when it comes to sport.... I reckon you should have to choose.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

All that bias, patriotism, predjudice etc etc is part of what makes soprt fun. Matches with empty of quiet stadiums are depressing.

Trevor Black said...

When ever I am told... `It is just a game'... I want to spew.

I have to admit I lose the plot when it comes to Sport. Some of my darkest darkest moments have been because of Rugby or Cricket.

1) 1999 Cricket World Cup Semi
2) 2007 Super 14 Final

are probably my 2 lows...

My highs are also Sporting Memories

1) 1995 Rugby World Cup
2) 1990 Currie Cup Final
3) `438'
4) 2007 Rugby World Cup
5) Brian Lara's 400
6) My first Try

Greg Torr said...

I guess Trevor Manuel's support for the All Blacks over the Springboks must irritate you just a bit.

When those rebel Aussie cricketers came here in the 80s I remember passionately supporting them because they kept getting beaten and generally seemed like the underdogs.

The first soccer match I ever watched was Man U against Brighton in the 1985 FA Cup final. Most of my extended family was watching, all supporting Brighton. So of course my sympathies lay with the poor neglected little underdog. Only discovered later that they were obviously all supporting Brighton for the same reason. Anyway, Man U have been my team ever since. (I don't really expect anyone to believe this story, by the way - everyone knows why people support United.)

Trevor Black said...

I didn't know he did. Does he still support The ABs over the Boks or did he just do that when he was younger. I can understand people who did it when they were younger.

I can also understand people who like the All Blacks. They are a great side and seem to engender respect (and pity) rather than the hatred those bloody Aussies get for being so good.

But if he supports them over the boks still, then I think he deserves a snot klap.

Ordinarily I look with disgust on turncoat supporters like your brother (Liverpool to Arsenal). Basically their support isn't worth anything.

But I think there are certain sides you shouldn't get to choose whether to support or not... it should be in your blood.

I guess that is why I have struggled to choose a premiership side to support... I don't have enough of a vested interest. I haven't suffered through defeats. I haven't paid my penance. You only get to be a true supporter if you care irrationally.

Greg Torr said...

I don't have solid intelligence on whether Manuel still supports the ABs.

I don't know his reasons, but somehow it strikes me as kind of cool yet infuriating at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Manuel supported the AB's during the 95 world cup I think, definately after he became finance minister.

I don't remember why I started supporting liverpool, either because they were the best at the time, or because greg supported man U. either one doesn't explain why I care though.

There should be a mixture between irrational loyalty and loving the qualities of the team. if the team is pull of racist murderers its time to move on. I'm actually quite proud of my turncoat status.