Thursday, June 19, 2008

Early Adopter

While in London this last weekend, I wandered down Regent Street and into the Apple Store and the Bose store. I have my beady little eyes on an itouch and a bose docking station. I have never been one of the first to buy things. I was always of the school of thought that things are bound to get cheaper soon, and if stuff was good enough 2 years ago, why is it not good enough now? The thing is, you tend to always be putting off the purchase.

So, the question becomes, is the additional cost of being at the front... and the difficulty of being part of the group of people who face the initial hastles worth it?

The other little bit of technology I am eyeing is the kindle...

I was always a laggard. Only this year in reading blogs have I even become aware of the `cool stuff' out there, and I want in.

Thing is, I have a nagging feeling that early adopters are in fact `rewarded' for being the first to try things out, fight through the errors, spread the idea, and help create the scale of operations that brings the price down... by being ripped off.

Not really, they choose to pay.

I am tempted to choose that... and that makes me feel like a sucker.

3 comments:

Greg Torr said...

I say at least don't buy first generation. Get the second if you can't wait, but probably best to hang around for third or fourth generation. So no Kindle yet!*

(*disclaimer: I may not follow my own advice)

Trevor Black said...

I realise you got shafted in the itouch zone, but the kindle at $400seems worth it? Can give it on in 2years.

Hmmm, I reckon self restrain is going to be hard

Stuart said...

My strategy is not to earn any money so I don't have to agonise over these things.