Monday, June 23, 2008

The Power of Disinterest

When I started playing poker, it brought out the very very worst in me. It didn't help that I was playing against someone who if he didn't get bored could probably play professionally. Thing is, poker is a game of skill and I wasn't skillful. Poker is a game where the noise disappears in the long run, but you can get lucky in the short run. You can also get unlucky. You can have a 96% chance of winning with one card to come, and only one card out of the entire remaining deck that can beat you.

Here's a surprise... 96% doesn't mean you won't lose. 4% of the time you will.

Play long enough and you will see some absolutely bizarre things happen. Spend a little bit of time with a poker player and they will recount the horrors of their many `bad beats'. I have a few... at the hands of the current South African Poker Champion (nothing like a bit of name dropping).

In the beginning though, it felt like the world was against me. On occasion I would absolutely lose the plot. It was embarrassing, but fortunately most of the people experienced similar or played with me long enough to see an improvement in my emotional control. I have probably learnt more about myself through poker than through any other game I have played.

And this brings me to the point of this post. The power of disinterest. The minute you are too invested in the outcome of any given decision, you are at a massive disadvantage.

1) If you care too much whether you are right or wrong.
2) If you really have to sell your house/car quickly.
3) If you really like/love someone to the point of irrationality.
4) Negotiating a business deal that you NEED to go through.
5) Renting a place out that you can't afford to leave vacant.
6) Risking too much money at one go on a poker table.
7) Being interviewed for a job you REALLY REALLY want.

I have always thought that being disinterest equates to a lack of passion. I enjoyed the rush of blood in an argument where I was trying to win. Not trying to `win' takes the fun out of it, right? Isn't the emotional roller coaster of poker/golf/sport the fun bit? If I don't care if South Africa or the Sharks win or lose, will I enjoy the wins as much? Is my bitter devastation at losing the Super 14 last year, or tying the 1999 CWC semi the price I pay for the enjoyment of victory?

I don't know the answer with sport, but with poker, business and seeking the truth I think it is clearer...

Not caring about short term loses puts you in a better position to have long term gains.

No comments: