Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's in your head

I wrote a rather tough exam on Saturday... but as is normally the case when you try study, your mind wanders to other things. So, I have a piece of paper on my desk that I write thoughts that pop through my head on, in the hope that they will go away so that I can get back to what I am supposed to be thinking about.

Here are some of the things. Some thoughts, some questions, some statements, some snippets of my notes... fairly random
  1. How do poor countries get richer?
  2. Misinterpretation of correlation. Because A is followed by B, or B occurs mainly around A, it doesn't mean A causes B.
  3. The Difference between `Weekend Players' and the greats.
  4. What makes a company the best to work for?
  5. Price Discovery
  6. Opportunities arise because others see problems.
  7. It is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
  8. DVORAK keyboards. Apparently qwerty keyboards were intentionally designed to be inefficient.
  9. What about combining Psychology and Financial advise, become a `wealth therapist'. Since the biggest factor in creating and destroying wealth is EQ, not IQ.
  10. Read Epiphany by Ken Robinson.
  11. How to decide what to read? rating posts? Select Raters?
  12. The Creativity Barrier
  13. Sunk Costs
  14. Legacy issues even if you change
  15. Hans Rosling
  16. Solicit Contrary views
  17. The market can remain irrational longer than you can hang onto your position or your carreer.
  18. Short term volatility should not matter to long term investors.
  19. Moral High Ground vs. Professionalism vs. Paternalism
  20. Poker vs. Trading vs. Investing
  21. Standard Finance assumes that investors are rational while behavioural finance just assumes that they are normal.
  22. Free Riding
  23. Executive Coaches
  24. Extraordinary investors - Warren Buffet, Bill Miller, Leon Levy, Dave Swensen, Jack Meyer
  25. Assymetry of Information.

4 comments:

Greg Torr said...

Hey, no.9 is MY idea!

Trevor Black said...

Really? I am serious.

Getting people out of debt, charging in the same way as a psychologist does, with regular discussions.

Pretty sure there aren't too many psychologist/actuary combos out there ;-)

Greg Torr said...

I am also serious. Not just getting people out of debt, but advice on all aspects of life that broadly affect financial wellbeing. With comparative advantage based on expertise in the following disciplines - psychology, economics (mainly micro), actuarial (long-term view).

As we speak, I'm stocking up on books to enable me to learn my craft.

Trevor Black said...

Keep me posted on your reading list, I plan on doing a similar thing. We can change the world!