Monday, August 04, 2008

Inbox Culture

Seth Godin talks about Inbox Culture.

How much does inbox and the emails that arrive and get answered determine what you do?

I have always got very annoyed when I go to a service desk, and the person there answers the phone instead of helping me, interrupting me getting served. I made the effort to come in, but the phone must be answered. (naturally when calling in, I also get irritated if the phone doesn't get answered quickly).

This now extends to people having there cell phones on when you are at dinner, having coffee or in meetings. I have heard of someone responding to a email on their blackberry while doing a presentation!

When do we get the chance to change from being responsive to deciding what we are going to do? If we are always online, in reach of email,sms,phone,facebook etc.?

I am going to start not opening outlook or checking my phone for 2 hours each day. I am also going to go to the beach without my cell phone for a couple of hours on the weekend. I reckon that might just lead to a smilier, more productive Trevor.

Not that I have been one to answer my phone during dinners.

No comments: