Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happiness & Communication

I am busy reading 'What is good?' by A.C.Grayling. My father recommended him (though not this specific book) to me when I mentioned that I had read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins.

While Dawkins book did force me to confront what I really thought about some issues, the level of aggression/candor is somewhat like Nassim Taleb. While Dawkins makes you feel uncomfortable because it seems his book is a call to arms that is, as Stuart put it (about a different subject), not for polite conversation; Taleb comes across as a bit... arrogant/mocking/'holier' than thou?

Grayling's style appeals to me more. The points he makes are about finding out what it takes to live the good life. Yes, in explaining the good/happy life he dispels the arguments on which religion is found much like Dawkins, but I would suspect someone who disagrees with him would find his style more palatable. I tend to agree with him, so I don't know. I would be very interested to hear from a still religious person what their impressions of this book are.

The following TED clip looks at a similar topic... the pursuit of happiness. In this case though he looks at those really really expensive things that are out of the reach of all but the super rich. Do they really make people happier?


Don't get me wrong, I still think those who say... 'Money doesn't buy happiness' are mostly wrong. But for me, money is like washing the glass before you pour the drink... it's not the drink. But no one likes drinking out of a dirty glass.

I am of the belief that relationships and communication are the basis for happiness. This goes hand in hand with intellectual curiosity and the desire to improve emotional intelligence. These don't cost much at all and are getting cheaper. The problem is no price I can pay would make all the people who I care about start writing blogs, sending letters, calling each other, and giving each other tough, honest, caring feedback.



Come on start a blog... it costs nothing.

1 comment:

mutt said...

I've read some articles and bits of one or two of his books and I don't like grayling. I listened to him on radio once and thought he sounded like an asshole.

Though I don't doubt your judgements about the people you mention.

The marginal money cost of blogging might not be anything, but you need to pay to be online. But also, the money cost of something isn't the actual cost, there is an opportunity cost to blogging, though of course, in my case I think it's a cost worth bearing...