Sunday, March 29, 2009

Enter the Reader

Ok... with all the talk of readers, I decided it was time to get one and see.

I was keen on the 'Kindle 2' because it is connected to the Internet, so you can buy books directly, and you can read blogs on it too. But, it is not available in the UK. So... the Sony Reader it is...




At £224, it wasn't cheap. But you got 100 books preloaded on it. I am still a little hesitant and uncomfortable setting up new gadgets, and with the Mac that I have and have very little clue how to use, I realised that my interest is in the content, not in the actual technology... which is why I am 'late to the game' in this early adopter thing.

After the initial discomfort of setting it up, and thinking that I would have to take it back because most of the software only worked on a PC, it is all sorted.

It looks like a smart book, and is lighter than a normal book. When I saw it in the store, I thought it had one of those fake cardboard things to show what the screen would have on it. In fact, it was on. It looks remarkably like a paper copy. No light actually comes from the screen like a normal computer screen. You need to read it in the light, or get a special attachment which shines light onto the screen.

The screen is a little smaller than I would like, only about half the size of the whole reader. It doesn't connect to the Internet, you have to load books off your computer or using a USB.

You can upload your own PDFs, but it strips any formatting and graphics. But that doesn't matter for text based things. This should be very useful.

All in all I am quite chuffed.

Think the first book I read on it will be 'Through the looking glass'. A lighter companion to the other book inspired by it that I am reading... 'The Red Queen'.

No comments: