Tuesday, April 28, 2009

If you won the lottery?

Part of why we work is because we enjoy it, and part of why we work is because we have to. If you are lucky, and have worked hard to get there, maybe you do a job where you enjoy most of what you do.

But there are always the annoying bits. The bits you have to do either because there is no one else to do them, or because it would take you much longer to explain to someone what you want than to do it yourself. Maybe you are unlucky, lazy, or stuck in a job that has more of these annoying bits than the good stuff.

So, what would you do if you won the lottery?

Firstly, would you be able to put up with the rubbish to get the good bits of a job when the financial incentive wasn't there any more? Are the good bits incentive enough?
I don't think that you could just buy your way into all really rewarding experiences. I get the feeling you either need to be very good at eliminating the irritating things by doing them really efficiently or you have to suck it up. But maybe, if you had won the lottery, you wouldn't have the patience to suck it up?

The other thing is... everyone would expect handouts, and you would start struggling to differentiate between friends and moochers. You may even have some who are both.

Maybe getting lucky isn't so lucky?

Hmmm... nah, I would make a plan ;-)

2 comments:

Sid said...

If I won the lottery ... I'd still work. I might not work in my current job but I enjoy the interaction between people and having a reason to wake up in the morning. Spending ALL my free time doing frivolous activities ... it's just not me. I guess I just need to be constantly challenged.

Trevor Black said...

I am on the same page. I just wonder whether not having money provides a little incentive to get into the habit of accepting the rubbish parts of jobs to get to the good bits.

You can't be a good writer without struggling through writers block on ocassion (maybe?). Can you be a successful lawyer without wading through reams and reams of legal jargon? Can you be a successful asset manager without reading the fine print in financial statements and wading through lots of noise to find quality information?

I suspect that a large sum of money may in fact get in the way of getting through the difficulties needed?