Friday, June 05, 2009

Do you believe in Destiny?

Arthur asks this in my last post on nature vs. nurture.

I think a large part of life is completely random: Where you were born, who your parents are, some kinds of opportunities you get, who you meet, whether you get hit by a bus.

Having said that, I think we have a remarkable degree of control over what we make of life and what opportunities we create. I think only passive participants have a destiny. If you are born in squalor and show no enthusiasm, you are destined to live in squalor. If you are born in a wealthy family that requires no effort to get that wealth passed on, and you show no enthusiasm, you are destined to live a comfortable if unremarkable life. I believe remarkable people create their own paths with a large helping of support from the circumstances in which they find themselves. The truly remarkable people do it in spite of their circumstances.

While I agree that the people around you, the environment and time you are alive play a large role, I don't think that is an excuse to not take accountability. There are few things in life we can't change with enough desire, passion and determination.

Yes, for the passive... I believe in Destiny. But, I don't plan on being passive.

No comments: