Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Your thoughts are free

Perhaps they shouldn't be?

Along with trying to stand on my head, and learning to breathe properly in my new found passion of Yoga, I have also been trying out all the 'Yogic teas'. I have never been a coffee drinker. I have maybe drunk 4 or 5 cups in my life, and that was when I didn't have the backbone to say no thank you when asked, and politely sipped it down. Not for any other reason than I have never liked the taste. You could say that is a good thing, but I was always a little jealous of all the various types of coffee there were. When you go out, the South African testosterone in me also made ordering tea feel a little well... not what Os Du Randt would do. I didn't venture beyond normal tea. Normal tea with no sugar just doesn't taste great, so in my attempt to cut that down... I ventured where Os may disapprove, to 'herbal teas'.

This was not meant as a diatribe on teas however, but one of the teas I have been trying has a quote on each tea bag. The one this morning said,
'Your mind is given to you, you are not given to your mind'
Now, it may seem odd that an Athiest such as myself is going regularly to a rather spiritually orientated Yoga centre. But what I really enjoy about the place is slowly learning to control my thoughts a little more. Or let me be honest, I am still at the stage of liking the idea that I will be able to. The old saying, 'Thoughts are free' may be true in that no one else can hear your thoughts, but personally I would prefer to be free, and my thoughts under my control.

Perhaps that is why the tea bag struck such a chord

No comments: