Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reverse Lent

While learning to live without certain things on which you are dependent makes sense. I never really bought into the idea of giving something up for 40 days, if the intention was to simply pick it up again at the end. Maybe it makes sense if you are trying to break an addiction, and the pause breaks the habit.

But... wouldn't it make more sense to instead of giving something up, to start doing something you would like to do, and try and do it consecutively for 40 days. Chances are that by the end of the 40 days it would have become a positive habit and there will be no desire to stop doing it?

Not that I am about to become a vegetarian, but I have heard one of the best ways to eat less meat (most of us tend to eat too much), is just to eat more veggies.

Anyway... I do realize that Lent is in fact a religious concept and is loaded with all sorts of things, but 2 non-religious friends and I have embarked on Reverse Lent. For the next 40 days, I am going to try and make sure I have a piece of fruit every day. Yes, I know I have tried this before. Yes, I know the idea of a fully grown adult not eating fruit is weird... But this post isn't about my bizarre idiosyncrasies...

It is about the idea of figure out something you want to do, and doing it. Then maybe by default, some of the things you want to cut out will simply fade away.

No comments: