Saturday, July 26, 2014

Effort Before Appreciation

Poetry is obscure to me. I know little of classical music. I try with football every four years and fail. My knowledge of history of art has faded. I speak only English fluently. I can't tell the difference between beers, wines and coffees. I don't know how to play Bridge or Scrabble. My chess is at about the level of a half interested 10 year old. There are lots of things where I haven't put the initial effort in required to derive the pleasure that those who love these things do. I suspect that many of these things aren't as difficult to get the point where the 'mist disappears' as we think. While it may take 10,000 hours to be world class at something - perhaps that isn't the point. How many hours of effort does it take before something becomes fun. Purposeful practice usually isn't fun. The person aspiring to be world class is often driven by something else other than simple pleasure. Often these pursuits are the key to knowing someone. If you can understand and enjoy the pleasure someone gets from a pursuit, and share that with them - you have a foundation to connect. Life will have more flavour. Rather than 10,000 hours... how far can you get in 100 hours? Far enough to see the beauty?

No comments: