Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Two People

I was teaching an introductory Yoga Class last night. I like teaching beginners partly because I like sharing what I have learnt, but also for more selfish reasons. It gives perspective. I still feel tight and stiff. If I haven't practiced in a while or if I had been travelling, I really don't feel myself. But when you teach a beginners class, you see where you were not long ago. When I started Yoga 5 years ago, I was a good 70cm away from touching my toes and couldn't even vaguely sit comfortably cross legged. This is very normal for guys. Being reminded from where you have progressed is one of the great benefits of sharing what you have learnt. It also brings you back to basics. In explaining each posture and in changing your perspective, you get brought back to the underlying purpose of what you are doing. I have found one of the best ways to learn is to teach. But you don't have to be an expert. Yes, it is nice to be taught by a grand sage who has come down from the mountains and meditates 6 hours a day, but it is also awesome to be taught by someone who is just ahead of you. Like at university/school where friends tutor each other, or those the year behind them. Ideally it can be quid pro quo. Given any two people, each will know something or be able to do something the other can't. By sharing, we chip away at barriers to happiness.

No comments: