Thursday, September 04, 2014

Till Things Flow Together

David D'Souza had suggested that one of the things I try learn is playing golf left-handed. He said this after I had mentioned that I wanted to research and write about the emotional barriers/obstacles to learning new things. Considering how badly I play golf, I doubt adding a left-handed challenge would be required to spice up my frustration. Well, he will be pleased to know left-right coordination is one thing I am fighting with right now. Starting with the basics with the piano and learning Grade 1 pieces, it is amazing how you can comfortably get the tune going with the left hand, and then with the right - but the mission is putting them together. Apparently drumming is even 'worse' and it takes years for drummers to train the limbs to 'think independently'. Independently, but in tune. Sounds a little to me like the dilemma we face in relationships and in the work place. Also sounds similar to our issues with decision making. When we can isolate things and make them simple, they are easy to control. But the world is more complex than that, and that requires slowing things right down. Slower than the individual parts want to move. Then gradually increasing the pace, till things flow together.

Two things that are clearly false about my experiment though:
1) I am under no time pressure, so I can stop and shift attention to other things when frustration builds and concentration falters.
2) I am the boss of my left hand and my right hand, so they don't get to argue or moan.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_coordination

No comments: