Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Saying a Little Less

Daniel Kahneman asks the question of whether we go on holidays for the memories or for the experience? If you knew at the end of your two week holiday all the memories would be erased and you would wake up feeling completely refreshed, would you take it? What would you do? Quite often we charge around trying to fit as much as we can in during our breaks. The same is true for weekends. You arrive back shattered. But it is worth it, because you have precious memories.


Memories get weaved into the stories of our lives. They are conversation starters. They give colour and flavour. Since many people only get a limited number of days break, breaks aren't in fact breaks. They are the point. The holiday becomes the thing you look forward to. It isn't just the two weeks. It is the anticipation and it is the tales that get built.

I didn't bring my camera with me today as I am wandering around Lisbon so you aren't going to get any photos today other than one of Mr Kahneman (Thanks Wikipedia). You also only get a short post as it is a ridiculously awesome day and I am in good company. Lisbon is gorgeous and I am deep soaking in its flavours with lots of thoughts bubbling away... so there will still be tales to savour.

But for now I am going to think slow and say less.

No comments: