Thursday, August 20, 2015

Unique Scars (Ariella)


I'm not a person who has a strong connection to 'things' but the few things I do have, I really love. This beautiful handcrafted board is one such item that has a special story and reminds me of a wonderful time of my life living in the Noordhoek valley. It is made from a tree which succumbed to the incredible fire which ravaged the South Peninsula earlier this year and which I experienced very closely (too close for comfort!) The black markings show where the intense heat caused the resin to boil inside the trunk. It's a simple yet thought provoking item which reminds me of the power of nature and that something beautiful always comes after the fire with its own unique scars and markings to tell the story.

Ariella Rosanna Caira

Past Guest Post: Devastating Effects

No comments: