Friday, March 11, 2016

Four Humours

I tell people that I study 'happiness and learning' which basically means I can think and write about anything. Because if it is not about one of those, what is the point? I got push back yesterday, and a book recommendation. There is more to life than happiness. There are the four humours (sanguine, choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic / air, fire, earth, water / spring, summer, autumn, winter). Life is hollow if it is just the pursuit of happiness. I do believe in 'The Art of Pain', and that the best you can wish someone is a little misfortune. Life comes through flavour and contrast. Strength comes through a little stress. But perhaps the stress itself has value, in and of itself, not just because it allows us to savour the other moments?


'Against Happiness'

No comments: