Sunday, August 06, 2017

Battle-Mode Mirror

All advice is autobiographical. Advice reveals more about the person giving the advice, than it does about the receiver. We are only able to see the world from our own perspective. This kind of feedback is incredibly powerful. Criticism becomes a double-edged request for help from someone struggling with the same thing. You're that. Like me. We are normally irritated most, by the things that matter most to us. As a little chap, I was argumentative, easy to rattle, and passionate about finding the truth. I have worked hard at getting better at listening, banter, staying calm and tolerating/valuing alternative ways of seeing the same thing. I still lapse into battle-mode, and so battle-mode irritates me in others. That irritation is a mirror.


No comments: