Sunday, January 07, 2018

Practice Falling

You need to practice falling to get good at getting back up. Over the new year, I had my first Ski lessons. At one point in the first two hours, I toppled over while at the back of a line of beginners. I had no idea how to get up. My 'big feet' made it hard. Like an upside down turtle of the non-ninja variety. Once shown the method, and with some decent tummy muscles, the big feet made it easier - just assisted situps. You need to know that. It is easy to forget how many 'first principle' lessons we learn, and then leave to our subconscious to deal with. The teacher was great. Each part of the lesson gave one new, small, thing to think about. With patience and calm, you can gradually learn new things until complicated processes become automatic.


No comments: