Sunday, September 16, 2018

Fruit and Tree

I think you should build an Engine. An Engine is an investment that (on average) earns more than you spend. An Engine gives you the freedom to spend your time on things that are difficult (or impossible) to monetize. 

A big part of monetizing things is articulating them. Putting into words what it is you can do or make, and finding people that believe they will be better off with that thing/service than with the money you are asking for. That is hard. Ridiculously hard. I love writing and communication and have been writing a blog almost every day for four years. I still get a lot of people saying they have no idea what I am talking about. That I have no idea what I am talking about. That I am unclear. That I am confused. 

Perhaps it is because I am not trying to make money? The truth is, I am confused. The world is confusing. I love being lost in the grass. Learning little bits at a time, and trying to find connections. Admitting, openly, that a lot of things make no sense. Admitting, openly, that not everything can be simply explained by a cause and effect.

That isn't how you make money quickly. Money rewards clarity and obvious short-term benefits. Money doesn't tend to support introspection and challenge. 'Do this, and I guarantee your problem will be solved.'

An Engine won't solve all your problems. It may actually just give you a new set of even more confusing challenges.

One challenge is the 'Fruit and Tree' problem. Living hand to mouth provides a form of discipline. If there is no Fruit, you don't eat. If you are living off an Engine, there is always the option of eating the Tree. Chopping down pieces to burn.

An Engine requires internalised discipline. You have to "pretend" all you have is the Fruit. You can't sustainably cut down the Tree or you will be back to the hand-to-mouth world. 

Engines don't tend to earn in a straight line either. My Engine is currently acting more like a Buffer. This year, my Engine has lost rather than made money. This means I am living off the Tree. This is okay from a long-term perspective, but it is not sustainable. If my Engine is genuinely doing a good job, things will turn out okay. If not, I will be back to living hand-to-mouth. Fuzziness is a privilege. Hunger is crystal clear.

Living off Fruit

No comments: