Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Path Dependent


I studied Money in part because I hated it. Hating money isn’t particularly helpful. We are supposed to be unemotional about it. Except money is so intimately involved in our decision-making process about the life we choose to live. I was incredibly frustrated by how seemingly limited my choices were. Rather than hating it, I wanted to understand it so that I controlled my money rather than it controlling me. Much of what we do is path dependent. Who we are surrounded by, and where we are, affects our choices. Context comparison is helpful… stepping back and seeing the choices other people have made. The choices other people *can* make. Then being able to have honest conversations, so we make our choices consciously. Money isn’t a thing. It is just a way we communicate. Learning what the squiggles mean can at least make things a little clearer. So we can have a sense of what we are dealing with.



No comments: