Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Build to Build


I don’t agree that there is a trade-off between risk and return. You don’t make money by taking risks (unless you are an Insurance Company). Risk management is simply an acknowledgement that the world is complicated, ambiguous, and random. The future is surprising. Investment Returns come, not from being able to predict the future, but from creating value over long periods of time. You create value through the application of skills and knowledge. Uncertainty means it isn’t 100% clear what skills and knowledge you need to develop, and what problems will need to be solved. I like knowing my effort won’t go to waste. I don’t mind working hard. I do mind working pointlessly. I prefer evidence to faith, unless the process itself is something I am okay with. If the value is the process. Otherwise, I want to see the value first. Understand what needs doing. Why it works. What I need to learn to do it. The world changes, but there is a lot of evidence of skills and knowledge that add value. Build those for yourself, so you can build for others.


"The Sower" Vincent Van Gogh


No comments: