Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Solid Base


What I enjoyed most about my introduction to Yoga in 2009 was the simplicity of the base. Swami Vishnudevananda talked about 5 key points. Proper exercise, breathing, relaxation, diet, and mental health (thinking and meditation). Whatever the challenge, there is a point of return. A first principle. Start from the basics. Slow things down. I think of this in the way I think of just how good my mother was at raising me. I am completely comfortable being lost in the grass while learning, because of the security of my base. I couldn’t have had a more solid foundation. She was that foundation. Returning there just requires closing my eyes. That is why I think individuals need a secure foundation more than they need to “know their place” (have a hand to mouth job). That place is fragile, their place shouldn’t be. I don’t believe in fear and wolves at the door as the ideal motivator. True creativity comes when people are secure in their place. That comes through getting the basics right. Starting from a point of strength. Then stretching into the chaos.



No comments: