Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Choose your Mountain

20-year-old Trev also had long hair. Grown during a two-year stint in the UK on a work-travel visa, in between school and university. It was the first time I had left South Africa (I had only ever even been to Cape Town once when I was two, which felt like the closest foreign place to Durban). My bravest previous adventures had been crossing the Vaal river to visit the family who said Fish with an accent. Young Trev was also a curious spirit, but those two years exposed him to how daunting a London you cannot afford is. Sitting on a bench in Kensington Gardens, he/I took the decision to accept the world hard. Money is made in containers. One of the most defendable containers is hard. Actuarial Science is not on the covers of flashy magazines, nor does it have sexy movie leads (“About Schmidt”). It does however require serious knuckling down, which creates a deep moat. A Competitive Advantage is not what you are good at. It is why others cannot do that. The mountain of professional exams is intimidating. I am grateful to young Trev that that did not scare him. It scares me. Money is made in National Containers. Salaried Containers. Professional Containers. Inherited Containers. Figure out the barriers to entry, and how to overcome them. Hard but possible is good for you.



No comments: