Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Submission Hold

I am the youngest of three brothers, by four years. My oldest brother is powerful. My middle brother is cunning and good with submission holds. I am good at not submitting. I was also good at making a lot of noise. When it came to the heart of arguments, there was a lot of pressure to just say sorry, and admit that I was wrong. I learnt that was sometimes the best course of action. Just say, “Sorry, I am wrong”. But my cunning brother knew my tricks. He did not just want a sorry. He wanted me to mean it. Perhaps that is where I got my aversion to some Corporate Politics. When someone says, “It is your decision, but this is what I would do” but means “just do what you are told”. I know I should play along with the illusion of delegated authority, when the truth is it is just delegated responsibility. People higher up the chain unwilling to fall on their swords, who want control without any blame for failure. Who become professionals at judging other people as not good enough, while never looking in the mirror. It is only meritocracy if everyone is being judged. Otherwise, it is a club.



No comments: