Monday, November 30, 2020

Reply All

I have been lucky to work with awesome people. My colleagues are the part I miss most about a Corporate life, and the thing I am looking most forward to in the trade-offs of a return. You spend a lot of time with the people you work with. Those teams change. As time grows since my first job, it is interesting mentally going through the list of who I have worked with, and where they are now. The old adage of repairing a boat panel by panel, till you ask if it is the same boat. I once got a job as a waiter at a restaurant I loved eating at. Turned out management was awful to staff, and then switched on their smiles. The same can be true in “Reply All” slip ups, and emails forwarded without looking at the full trail. False smiles will out, and containers will change. I love being part of a team, but have gradually realised my real loyalty lies with the people I have connected with. Not the dynamic containers we were using at the time. Clients become colleagues. Colleagues become competitors. Competitors become colleagues. We are all connected, across time and through actions. Money is made in containers with barriers to entry and exit. We are not made in one container. There is always a bigger container that matters more, and will last longer.

You need boxes to move.
But boxes are not the point.


No comments: