Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Obstacles and Barriers

Formal studies are not solely about skills and knowledge. We live in a world where that is largely available for free. I heard about email and the internet for the first time as a 14-year-old from my Maths teacher who had visited the United States. Information flow was starting to burst. 

She was also the one who told me about Actuarial Science. Even though the world is connecting, money is still made in containers with barriers. The way we build the structure is partly through formal education. I broke some of my barriers (the country we are born in) after school by going overseas for the first time. I went to the United Kingdom for two gap years, working as a teaching assistant on a work-travel visa. 

When I came back, I picked something with barriers. I knew there were people who paid people who passed these exams. Jobs that wanted these qualifications. Limited people with those qualifications. I looked at the shop. I saw what the expensive products were. I looked at the cost to put those on the shelf. I went and did the thing that was most tolerably difficult (challenging barriers) with the highest gap between price and cost. Based on my existing set of scarce skills and knowledge. 

That is not the same for everyone. Which is why it paid well. Scarcity pays. Understanding money is partly about understanding and overcoming your obstacles and barriers.

No comments: