Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Online Dating

For about 6 months now I have been trying out the online dating phenomenon. Traditionally I think South Africans, or at least the people I have mixed with throughout my life, have frowned upon any form of meeting someone that is not “Normal”. By normal I think we mean by chance.

So what are the options of ways to meet other single people?

Not many South Africans try set their single friends up… I would suspect that blind dates are more unusual than the norm. I haven’t been on many blind dates, but there is always that awkward tension of an expectation, or knowledge that you are being evaluated.

You can go to a club. After not being single for quite a while, then coming back to the game (which I had never really been that fond of) I fast realized a new rule that wasn’t necessary when I was younger… check the ring-finger!!! The problem with clubs is most girls don’t actually go there to meet guys… most are there just to have fun. On top of that, for the ones who do want to meet guys there is another key problem. You know nothing about them and they know nothing about you. So…. They have to judge you on looks, and likewise. In addition, as most guys intentions at night clubs are not particularly honorable, they have to treat you with distrust. Basically clubs are not the best place to meet future life partners ;-)

You can meet someone through friends. This requires a WIDE circle of friends… with a constant change. This is probably the best way… but often friends settle down, and the circle seldom gets new blood. This can be bloody annoying ;-)

Do what you enjoy doing. For me, that would be to take up Art Classes. This is on the cards. I may meet someone at gym? Not really, don’t tend to chat there to much ;-) If I joined a Rugby Team, I may meet friends of team-mates… The benefit of meeting someone by doing things you enjoy is obvious I suppose… they are likely to enjoy doing the things you do.

Meet someone at work… This is particularly dangerous, although it seems to be a favourite pastime of those studying accounting and doing their articles!

So what about online dating? I haven’t been brave enough to go on too many dates yet… have actually only ventured out once! But I reckon it’s a good idea. At least you have some knowledge about the person to narrow the field… even if perhaps sometimes people aren’t particularly truthful… but you still have a hell of a lot more info than someone at a nightclub… and you don’t have any beer-goggles on!

I think there is still a stigma against it… but I reckon it is a step in the right direction.

1 comment:

JustMe said...

ROFLMAO !!!
Been on dating sites for the last three years... you don't even want to know how (un)successful THAT's been!!!