Sunday, March 30, 2008

Going Dutch

It is interesting that the term `Going Dutch' is used for Men and Women who are dating splitting the bill.

Why I say that, is that it is also a country known for its liberal prostitution policies.

Is the guy paying for the girl not just a mild form of prostitution?

Doesn't `Can I buy you a drink?' not translate to `I fancy you, can I chat you up?'

The more significant relationships in my life have been with Girls who were determined to pay their fair share. I think that goes hand in hand with being empowered.

Why should the guy pay?

An argument goes:

1) It shows respect. The girl spends ages getting ready and the guy just slaps something on. This is the argument that makes me connect the practice to prostitution. A form of payment for effort.

2) It is a tradition. A part of Chivalry.. Yes, and once this guy who reinforces gender roles during courtship achieves his aim... does this tradition go hand in hand with the man being the head of the house, the woman doing the cooking and cleaning, and the woman raising the kids?

I think this is a tradition that reinforces women as being objects there to be bought. Don't get me wrong, I am all for buying flowers, romance and all those good things... but that doesn't imply that one partner is being `paid for' since romance goes both ways.

So that is why I think the concept of empowering women by legalising prostitution and the concept of `Going Dutch' are consistent. In our society we get it wrong on both counts.

No comments: