Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brain Rules

John Medina has a book, a blog and a website based on his research into the human brain, understanding it and working it to your advantage.

Maybe I have been watching too much Heroes, and reading too much about evolution but I do find it exciting how people are learning more and more every day about how we think and what we are capable of.

I started trying to learn to touch type at the begining of the year. For years I have done the two finger thing. I have spent many hours on a computer program (in a game style) trying to get it right, and I have gone from 12 words a minute (40 in 2 finger style) to about 60 words a minute.

I found the process fascinating. Simply because your fingers struggle in the begining and then it just becomes automatic. How much other stuff is there that we can do that we just don't know about?

I have heard figures bandied about like that we only use 10% of our brain capacity... What are we really capable of?

The blog mentiones some cases of autistic children with IQs of less than 50 who can do things like telling the time without a watch, doubling huge numbers multiple times in only a few seconds, giving correct estimates of the dimensions of objects over 20 metres away. Perhaps autisic children are just focusing in on things we are all capable of doing.... but just don't know.

Who wants to be Peter Petrelli? :-)

4 comments:

Stuart said...

Sounds like you might be ready to become a transhumanist. Or maybe not...

That 10% of our brains thing is crap though. I don't know how it has survived so long.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

Trevor Black said...

ok fine... I am not going to go to the effort of checking the credentials of this person dispelling this myth.

They are probably good.

We all have legs too, and we use 100% of them. But how many of us are athletes?

Maybe we `use' all of our brains, but as a muscle, I would not be surprised if average figure of mental fitness versus potential was 10%

and maybe that is why the myth has survived so long.

Anonymous said...

It's a very commonly debunked myth.

The rest of your comment is right. we can use it better of course...

Wha about the transhumanist thing?

Trevor Black said...

You will have to tell me what that is, I don't know.

And inertia is stopping me from finding out :-)