Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Classical Music with Shining Eyes

Benjamin Zander's TED talk is pretty amazing.

I always wanted to play a classical instrument, or any instrument for that matter. Started with the piano when I went overseas 10 years ago, got to about Grade 4 level and then my varsity work took over. In the back of my mind though, I promise myself I will get back to it.

Music, Art, Drama and other live performances sometimes just grab you. Sometimes movies do the same. That moment when it seems to tug at all the strings and your body seems to rise into your chest and head. There is a magnetism that pulls you towards the performers.

I can think of a few such examples. A little girl of 9 (at the time) playing the Violin at the school I worked at in Chichester, the female teacher's vocal solo at the same school. There are a couple of movies that do it to... Dead Poet's society, the Notebook. Some books, like the Power of One.

I have written a fair amount about the power of disinterest in getting what you want... but we are creatures of passion. It is those moments that to me seem to make things worth while. Those highs and lows...

Do yourself a favour even if you haven't watched any TED talks before, follow this link, download the talk (it is less than 20 minutes) and see where it takes you.

No comments: