Monday, November 10, 2008

Elevation

I have now finished Haidt's `The Happiness Hypothesis' which I highly recommend.

I will have to read it again several times, and like other things I have read recently it seems rather the start of a course with no end rather than a book. That is probably part of the reason I have `fallen in love' with reading over the last year. I used to like reading, and occasionally would have passionate affairs with amazing books (Catch 22, The Power of One, David Copperfield), but when they finished it was a case of what now... Having been introduced to Non-Fiction, what is great is that my list of `to read' seems to grow exponentially with every book I read leading to a dozen others.

But more of that another time...

Haidt talks of the emotion of elevation, something akin to the feeling of divinity. Some Christians say that even if you lived in a remote area and had never come into contact with another human, you would know God exists because of the beauty that surrounds you. While I disagree with the conclusion, I often experience the emotion too. Not often enough mind you, and it is something to search out.

That feeling of awe, not of `god-fearing' awe... but inspirational awe. `Oneness' with the rest of humanity and a warm glow.

Before you get the impression that I am getting all sentimental, why I so liked Haidt's explanation is that as an Atheist, you feel a sense of loss at having once believed in `something greater'. I may no longer believe in God, but I still have that emotion of elevation and that makes me feel good!

Haidt laments Science's lack of wonder and awe, and says that we have a lot to learn from religions when it comes to science... not in terms of facts (where science focuses all its energy) but in terms of embracing emotions such as elevation.

The world around us has so much to be in awe of, and so much to inspire. It also has the opposite, the stuff that disgusts us and leaves us depressed.

But that sounds like a challenge to me.

Exciting Times.

No comments: