Sunday, September 20, 2009

First Steps

First steps is literally that. I was there recently when my niece took her first steps, but I was watching the television, and suddenly everyone said she had taken her first steps. You kind of think that suddenly now there it is, she will be walking... but no, learning to walk is a long process.

It is the same with most things. There isn't this sudden now you can't, now you can. Granted there are jumps, but for the most part it is a process.

Today I took my 'first step' in that I got into a headstand in Yoga for the first time. I was being assisted, but it was a first step nonetheless. I am sure it will be some time before I can do one unassisted, but it felt good. I only got into a half headstand for the first time on Tuesday night. There are eight steps to get into the headstand. Part of the key apparently is to not get too excited about how you are progressing and push too far too fast, especially if no one is helping you. After all, done wrong you could be putting all your weight on your neck.

I guess we always try pinpoint a first moment. Whether it is when you first walked, when you first stood on your head, or when you first fell in love...

perhaps it is more about a process, with fits and starts till you blink and it just feels natural.

No comments: