Monday, October 05, 2009

Does your dogma do harm?

I like to think I approach things cynically. Not in that I am negative or think that things are doomed to fail, but in that I will try an question rather than just accepting things. Sometimes though, perhaps things that aren't true in the way they are intended still have positive effects that outweigh the fact that they are wrong?

I imagine that would be a dangerous approach to take though, since you could easily become dogmatic about things. When challenged, you could just say that even if what you say is not true, you are better off for it.

On the other hand, what if someone isn't capable of getting the head/emotions round the truth of something... and they are better off living under an incorrect dogma.

I guess it comes down to whether or not your dogma does any harm.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

I don't think it's an approach that people choose to take.

We agree that some of our beliefs are false and possibly have good effects while we sit around and stroke out beards, but when it actually comes to the substance of a particular issue we think we've dealt with our bias and that we're actually right.

It's just as well that this isn't more costly than it is because we're wrong about so very, very many things.

Trevor Black said...

I think I have bought that side of the argument. What I am wandering is the other side.

What if in believing that we are wrong about everything (most probably), and so tentatively feeling things out... you never push hard enough in any one direction?

Like Balaam's donkey... you starve and die of thirst caught half way between food and water.