Friday, August 15, 2014

Till You Don't Get It Wrong

One of the books I am reading in my project to tackle learning lots of new things is 'Fluent Forever' by Gabe Wyner which focuses on techniques to pick up languages quickly. My approach has always been brute force and repetition. While I have used mnemonics and silly rhymes to help remember things (the sillier the better), most of my learning has been through not being afraid to put the hours in. Wyner argues that actually that is not the most effective way. While I would do something repeatedly until I stop getting it wrong, rather than till I get it right, the second way actually may be more effective. IF I come back to it again. Preferably as close to when you would forget it (without) having forgotten it. It also reduces frustration and makes the process more fun. The idea is called the Spaced Repetition System, and is effectively just a smart way of using flash cards. With computers, these systems are getting even smarter. The one Wyner suggests using is called Anki and can be downloaded at www.ankisrs.net .Wyner gives Tutorials on how to use the system here.I am going to give it a go with French. I am also going to use the Duolingo app on my phone.

One of the theories he has is that we learn more when we are having fun. I certainly like the idea of that being true. While brute force does work (I have often used the thought 'This is not rocket science, you are not pushing the boundaries of human thought, this is a solved problem' to push through stuff I have been struggling with), the idea that you can just have fun and learn quicker is much more appealing. Many SRS systems can be incorporated into games. He also reminds that watching TV series is a great way to pick up new languages. I happen to be a fan - and the idea that I can put any potential guilt monkeys down off my shoulders while learning a language is awesome. Apparently 'Lost' is great in Russian.

No comments: