Saturday, January 26, 2019

Hierarchy Hives

I am fortunately not allergic to any food that I am aware of. I don't like messy fruit, but that isn't an allergy... it is a childhood weirdness I struggle to shake. Something about the texture and ability to invade my space gives me 'n klein bietjie kots in my mond. What I do struggle with is Hierarchy. I have always had a chip on my shoulder. I hate being told what to do. I hate feeling like I am just a cog doing a job without any agency of my own.

This includes delegation of jobs. Not if it is "my turn", everyone is taking turns, and it inherently feels fair. I did a few Yoga Courses and we each had Karma Yoga. The hour I would spend washing everyone else's dishes was one of my favourite parts of the day. It isn't the menial side that brings out rashes. 


What I don't like is the disempowerment. My stock example is when a boss delegates a job to a subordinate that they haven't done before themselves. What can happen is that they don't know just how complicated it is. So the subordinate plugs away going down multiple garden paths unnecessarily. Pulling their hair and teeth out desperate to please. The Boss doing the same job would have a tool at their disposal that changes the game. The ability to stop. To say - nah, this is more complicated than it is worth.

It is why I am a strong believer in "Independent Thinking" in the sense of letting people make decisions. As many decisions as possible unencumbered by the really difficult task of having to explain themselves. Joint decision making is very hard. We all come at problems very differently. That is powerful. If people are empowered.

This only works for small decisions. Which is why I like the idea of Micro-ambition. The more a problem can be broken down into lots of little trials and errors, and the shorter the implementation loop, the more empowered a system it can be. If unintended consequences are small, then you don't have to push decisions up the uninformed food chain.

The challenge is that we don't live on islands. Even those who do, don't live on those islands by ourselves. We are connected to other people, and some decisions have to be made together. Joint decision making involves opening issues up. It involves exploration,  discussion, empathy, time, and the ability to bring people along the path with you.


In "The Democracy Project", David Graeber talks about how voting should really be the last rather than first resort of Democracy. If people are empowered, and included, it will seldom need people to split into teams. Entrenched Teams is the first sign of a failing democracy. The point shouldn't be for anyone to rule over anyone else. For any Team to be in power. The point should be to allow people to make as many decisions as they can for themselves.

Delegation requires trust. It requires us to accommodate, adapt, and adjust to other ways of doing things. It requires us not imposing the things we don't want to adapt from on others. Don't ask someone to do something for you if you aren't ok with them deciding how to deal with the ambiguity.

No comments: