Friday, July 03, 2020

Throwing Name


For 5 years I raised money every November for Movember. In the first year, I raised more by growing a moustache than I had as part of a dedicated Youth Council in a full year’s effort. It blew my mind. Hours selling hot dogs, arranging charity dinners and “expanding Rands” versus a few emails and some fancy dress. I sharpened my self-mocking for money over the next few years and learnt a few lessons. (1) Don’t make the one time a year you contact someone, a time you are asking them for something, (2) Don’t always ask the same people, and (3) Be interested in and support the causes of other people. People like people who are consistent and interested, rather than only there when they need help. This is analogous to new tools like LinkedIn. Don’t take it seriously only when you need a job. It takes time to become a contributory member of a community. To be trusted. Relationships and Networks are the backbone of privilege. But now tools are there to democratise that, and change the game. If they are used authentically. If they are used as a conversation rather than a request. Be part of the conversation.


Easy Money

No comments: