Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Home Workshop

I stepped away from the Corporate world in August 2014. I liked the idea of living off an Engine of Capital where my decisions of how to spend my time were no longer filtered by the purpose of my full-time employers. A world free of job hunts, bosses, career progression, office politics, and performance reviews. A chance to internalise and control my own self-reflection and appetite for feedback. I particularly like being my own decision maker. Not having to make proposals for how things should be done to boards or decision makers higher up the tree. Not having to justify or get permission. Making decisions myself. My Engine isn’t big, and it wobbles. I live with a cloud of existential anxiety and my elbows covered in grease doing repairs in my home garage. I live on significantly less than I would if I just got a job. A different sort of stress to the 9-5 of accepting the way the world works. I am making it up as I go along. I think we all are. Even stepping away had its own new set of constraints and pressures. You can’t escape the madness. You can just invest in your ability to cope.

My Grandfather in his home workshop in Nov 2014


No comments: