Thursday, November 19, 2020

Sellsword

A share is a slice of ownership in an underlying business. Ownership is not participation in profits based on your productive contribution. That is just an alternative form of salary. A share in the spoils (or losses) as your price. Ownership exists separately from personal contribution. I have worked at three companies, and only owned shares in one of them. Those were given to me in 2004 as part of a Broad-Based Economic Empowerment scheme. Everyone who worked at the company got a little. Those who did not work there, were welcome to buy them. At the other privately held firms, I was a sellsword. I took what I earned and built my engine of capital outside where I was working. The three base ingredients of money-making are (1) money, (2) problem-solving, and (3) a container. Do not just think about “big ideas” and merit to solve problems. Money makes money by scaling problem-solving, and providing strength and flexibility that exists beyond personal merit. Containers create the barriers to entry and vehicle to allow ownership. Ownership allows you to free your labour from the narrow constraints of supply and demand. Your container is not the place you work. Unless you are a real owner.



No comments: