Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How do you get better?

I only really started this blog with a post entitled 'Scared'? after Stuart had given me a lot of grief. I wanted to write, but I wanted to write stuff that was deep, interesting or funny. I wanted to write stuff that people would want to read, and I yet I just didn't write. Part of it is 'Creativity Block' and part of it is just a desire for everything you do to be fantastic.

In 'Outliers', Gladwell talks about how the Beatles spent much of the start of their career just singing other peoples songs. But they spent hours and hours on stage until they got good enough to start experimenting.

Stuart writes about his umming and aahhing over the tone of his posts. I must admit, when I started blogging more regularly, and particularly when I was working through thoughts about the role of government and capitalism, or the power of the free market, I really enjoyed the interaction with Stuart and his brother Greg in the comments section. I enjoyed it, but the tone was quite aggressive. Greg doesn't comment on my blog as much since it became more of a 'Yay Internet' blog as Stuart calls it.

When listening to people who enjoy debating, you are often struck by how little they are listening, and how much they are waiting for their turn to speak. Disinterested seeking of the truth where you are your own biggest critic is very difficult. Genuinely trying to hear, empathize and think through another persons perspective is a rare remarkable skill. But you also don't want to never venture opinions. I think it comes down to making those statements, or bold conjectures, and then being your biggest critic.

What I worry about is that we become so worried about how we say things and the tone of how we say it, that we don't say them. That the discussion sits in little folders that only you see. When Stuart mentions the fact that he has posts sitting there that he hasn't put up, I think that is just silly.

I do think there is a very important place for reviewed, reworked, updated and well thought through essays. But I also think you need to get your thoughts out there to be worked through.

Had I the IT skills, and a few more dollops of motivation, I would like my blog to be a combination of blog posts written (as I do) in 20-30 minutes and posted. Essays that are well thought through. Audio conversations, and talks. Presentations. Basically as many different avenues as possible. If I really got motivated, maybe even a book.

But what I do think is important is that you find a way of getting it out there, of getting into the habit of trying. Then be your own worst critic and try and improve.

I for one think Mr Torr does a good job both of stating his opinions strongly, and of criticizing them.

2 comments:

Dhruv Pandya said...

Do you read your blog entries and try to analyse yourself?

Also I think that when speaking to people, which is very unlike blogging, one needs to be mindful of many contextual things such as tone, environment, sensitivity of subject, personalities etc.

Trevor Black said...

I don't as a matter of course read back through my blog posts. I am sure I will at some stage. I often read through diary posts and look at how my thinking has developed.

I am not likely to be posting diary entries on my blog any time soon!

I agree you need to be aware of all those things. I guess though that people choose to read your blog. They don't have to.

And I think people are more tolerant of people who take criticism and do something about it. Someone's tone may be aggressive, but if you see that they are working at it and getting better... you will be more accepting.

Where people get frustrated is where people can't take feedback. Where they take it as personal and make no effort to empathize or give any credence to the alternative view.