Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mixed Bag 2

I just ordered a whole bunch of new books, so I thought I would give you a list so you can get a taste of what I might be writing about in the next few months.

I have done a list like this before. Of the 10 books I warned you of, I have finished 3 and am still reading 2. 5 are sitting on my shelf, so the warning might not hold that much water.

Part of the reason is I don't place too many rules on my reading any more. If I feel like reading, I read what I feel like reading at that point. At any given time, I may be 'reading' 7 or so books. Some I may not have really opened in a few months. Some go quickly. And however many are on the go, if I see something new, I will give it a go.

Maybe this is as dysfunctional as when I just read one book at a time, and read it cover to cover, one at a time (even if I was hating it and it was taking me forever). But it doesn't bother me so much.

Another thing I am trying is to read things that others have suggested that don't reflect my view of the world. I will leave it to you to guess which is which...
  1. "The Intention Experiment: Use Your Thoughts to Change the World" Lynne McTaggart
  2. "Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life" Thomas Moore
  3. "Creativity" Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
  4. "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
  5. "The Happiness Project: Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun" Gretchen Rubin
  6. "Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations (Voices That Matter)" Garr Reynolds
  7. "Moving to Higher Ground" Wynton Marsalis
  8. "10 Moral Paradoxes" Saul Smilansky
  9. "The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer from the People Who'Ve Lived the Longest" Dan Buettner
  10. "Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging and Outmarketing Your Competition" Guy Kawasaki
  11. "THE ETHICS OF WHAT WE EAT: Why Our Food Choices Matter"
    Peter Singer
  12. "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future"
    Daniel H. Pink
  13. "Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? How to Drive Your Career and Create a Remarkable Future" Seth Godin

No comments: