Thursday, July 30, 2009

White House to Staff Room

I just watched the Frost-Nixon movie...



I have to admit to being a little cynical of politicians. A friend once told me I would grow up to be a politician in a purple suit. It had something to do with my schoolboy nickname of 'Flagburner' after I refused to sing 'Die Stem' at our school prize giving. I guess the idea of politics at that stage as one of Freedom Fighter was rather appealing.

It becomes less appealing as you realise how difficult it is to ever stick to what you believe in completely and totally when trying to build consensus.

But then you realize too that politics isn't just confined to Government. There is the infamous staffroom politics at schools, daily office politics, and even politics in relationships.

I still love the idea of a world of complete honesty. One where everyone has the emotional and social intelligence to handle that world too. Some people would argue that you can be honest with out full disclosure, and not telling people everything is normally the best approach.

I pretty much accept that a completely transparent world is not possible. For the most part, I guess you have to accept that compromise is necessary, and so half truths will be told and politics will continue.

It just leaves such a dirty taste.

2 comments:

Sid said...

You refused to sing Die Stem? Wow. When did this occur? Before or after the democratic elections?

Swart Donkey said...

I was a little 12 year old and the year was 1992.

One teacher suggested I mouth the words. I said that defeated the object. Another teacher said that if I didn't want to sing it I should just leave the country.

If I hadn't ended up crying, I probably would have had some other kids also not singing with me, but unfortunately my stuborn non-singing didn't prevent my rather less strong of heart tear ducts from doing their thing.

A rather politicised little boy.

Hence the future prediction of the politician. The purple suit is more because of the fact that I also happened to be a rather odd little chap too.